Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The First of Many



I held out as long as I could. I have a few teammates with blogs, and I don't feel they convey to the public the true essence of bike racing. I applaud their attempts, but ultimately they fall short. So it is up to me to tell the tale of how stupid bike racers are.

Let's get you up to speed on my bike racing pedigree.

I started racing in 2005. Won a bunch of races, and soon found myself in way over me head. Luckily for me I am not smart enough to realize I don't belong in this peleton, and I am a slow learner so I keep thinking I have a chance at winning so I keep coming back for more. I am now a cat. 2 racer and the captain of a great team. I have wonderful teammates as well.

So far this season everyone has crashed but me. Let's keep it that way. The team has the following record this season:
Top 10's= 9
Crashes= 6

As for me, here is a brief update on my season so far.

Jan 28- the season starts with a fast 60 miles crit- didn’t place.
Feb 3- Long, hard Road race with the countries top pros- didn't place.
Feb 18- Crit with local talent- first top 10 of the season (10th)
Feb 25- Not a chance at top 10
March 3&4- Lots of crashing (not me) and no top 10's. (I am starting to get pissed)
March 16-18- More crashing (again not me), no top 10 for me, but a teammate scores a 2nd on the last stage. (Not as pissed now, but I officially suck)
March 25- got in the break, got caught by chase group, let 5 guys slip away, got 8th. I don't suck as much as I thought.
March 31- Guess what....more crashes. No top 10 for me.
April 1- I thought it was a joke, but I got 4th in a race. I don't suck any more.
April 14- I am in the break again. Oh s*@t, I'm dropped from the break. I am dropped from the peleton, I am alone off the back. I suck again.

That is a snapshot of my year so far. The good news is the last race really hurt my legs, so I was complete crap for 2 days. Then I thought it would be a good idea to go out to a mid-week crit. WRONG. Now my legs are crap again, and I have the hardest 2-day, 3 stage, race of the season this weekend. My chances of doing well there are slim to none, and slim is on his way out the door right now. Such is the life of a bike racer. The good news is my wife is pissed at me for racing so much, and my child has forgotten what I look like.

This is the beginning of what could turn out to be a complete implosion for me, and I welcome you to come along for the ride.

No comments: