Monday, July 28, 2008

What Happened????? (part deux)



I like to use pictures as metaphors. Let's take this picture above/to the left and break it down as it relates to the HORRID weekend I had on the bike.

Take a look at the picture. Study it. What is the first thing you notice? The size of the wave? That represents the field at the San Marcos curcuit race. It was a big field for that race. Usually it is a pretty small field and usually it is 175 degrees out there. It wasn't hot this year, but the wind was blowing pretty good. That wind in San Marcos is represented by the wind blowing this wave face up and holding it open. If you haven't surfed before wind blowing up the face of a wave makes the wave stand up taller and when it does finally break it makes the wave hollower and break with more power. This wave is going to absolutely detonate soon as you can see. We will get to that in a minute. Just remember to keep that thought in the back of your mind as you read on. Like I said the field started with about 70 or so racers, and there were some top names out there including Kyle Gritters, Rory Sutherland, and Neil Shirley to name a few. To make matters worse, they all had teammates with them. Right from the start this was not looking to be another typical race at San Marcos. We started fast (as did the surfer in the picture) and we never slowed down until the end or when we hit the metaphorical wall. In my case it was the end of the race, for some teammates it was the wall. The race started early with attacks. The greatest part was I felt like complete poop for the first 30 minutes or so. Then I felt a little better, but by then the break was gone, the peleton was shrinking every time we hit the climb and the wind seemed to be blowing harder every lap. I was not having fun.
Back to the picture. Even if you don't surf you can clearly see this guy is about to have a really bad day. He has buried the entire nose of his board at the bottom of the wave as he was attempting to drop in. Some of you who do surf know without a doubt know which this wave is. If you don't I will tell you. It is the imfamous Pipeline on the North Shore of Oahu. Most everyone knows of or has heard of Pipe and let me tell you the wave is scary and mean and, there is only about 4 feet of water under that guy. Like I said he is about to have a very bad day. His eminate trip onto the reef is mirrored by me on the bike when the break got up the road and then we started to chase only to have the entire race fall apart and never come back together. I ended up suffering like a dog for a while longer until I finally started to feel better near the end, and that was only because we had slowed down in what they were calling the "peleton". What they should have called it was the gruppeto. We were slow and sad.
In the end I tried a Hell Mary on the last lap only to get caught at the base of the short climb. I sat up and cruised on home, safe and without much to celebrate, much like our surfer in the picture above. Our hero on the surfboard, I am happy to report, was also OK. He got lucky and didn't hit the reef (or the pavement in my case), and came away with a better understanding of Pipeline (or racing with the big boys for me).

Only a few weeks left in my season. Some guys tried talking me into racing in San Fransisco to quailfy for Vegas, but I am going to be on the East Coast that same weekend, which was a relief to me. I am cooked right now and it is taking all my motivation to suit up for these last 3 weeks of racing.
Until next week.

No comments: