Monday, August 11, 2008

The Fat Lady Has Sung



It's over. My season has finally ended, and not a race too soon. My right leg is screwed up, not to mention I am just plain tired. The season started with Boulevard on Feb. 3 and has not stopped. All told more than 50 race days in the legs, and for a guy with a job, that is a lot. Riding my bike is not my job, just fun, so to get that many race days in the legs is really good. Some good results this season too. I got on 4 podiums and won a great road race in NorCal. To win a road race was a major goal of mine this season. I can check that one off. I did lay a giant terd at SDSR, and that annoys me, but you can't be good at every race.

There are still a few El Dorado crits left I will do, but that is a pretty brainless activity. I don't plan on getting hurt at this point in the season because some Fred who is new to our ranks decides he is the biggest and baddest, and crashes half of the field out at 30+mph. It happened to me a few years ago, and it isn't going to happen again.

Yesterday was Nationals. I am no expert, but I am pretty sure I should have trained for that. The last time I did a 100 mile race was the beginning of June. So the legs were not quite prepared for a race that fast and that long (120 miles). The Strawberries brought about 37 guys to the race including about 4 of the top 5 picks to win it all. We went really fast and I got popped at the half way mark. Not too surprising really. I hung out in the feed and watched some racing. It was really fun to actually watch racing again. The break went but it was too big, and the attacks from that group started on lap 4. Two Strawberries and Thurlow finally got away, and the berries played Thurlow pretty well and took first and second. Well done to them. They had a great day and rode the race perfectly. Congratulations to them, now go back to NorCal and leave us to our Industrial Park Crits.

So here are some random things that happened this season that made it really interesting:

- Saw a guy crash in a feedzone, by himself, no one around him for a 10m diameter. Tried to put a bottle away and hit a bottle on the ground and crashed. Lift your head up in the feedzone pal.

- Missed the winning break at SDSR. Thought I had a man in the break. I suck.

- Got dropped badly at Redlands. That was a bad day.

- Saw a guy slide out next to me in the last turn at Manhattan, almost in slow motion, but I stayed up and got 6th.

- Upgraded to a cat.1 (nice)

- Finished Boulevard and I wasn't dead last.

- There are WAY TOO MANY pros living in SoCal now. They all need to move back to Boulder.

- There are a lot of really gorgeous female bike racers now. Both pro and amateur. It's a good thing.

- Speaking of women, saw a woman crash in a sprint, by herself, by simply throwing her bike side to side too hard.

It's time to get in the ocean and surf a little more, and hit the mountain bike a little more too.

No comments: