Friday, August 29, 2008

Ok, It's really over now



Now it's over. I prematurely called the road season done a week or so ago, but there was one more Eldo to go. I showed up for this last "race" hopeing to stay upright and collect my free Mexican dinner afterward courtesy of CBR. The race was its usual boring event, same as all the rest this season. There are just enough guys out there to chase, but those same guys are not strong enough to get in a break. Defensive racing sucks. So I stayed true to my word and didn't let the competitive juices over-power my brain, and I sat on the back in the safety zone. Also true to my word, which was to be on the back or off the front all night, I went to the front and tried my hand at a few attacks. Got some daylight on one of them, but the two Fred's with me were cooked from sitting on my wheel and couldn't pull threw. Thanks guys.

Once back in the group I found my way to the lantern rouge position, and readied myself for a nice easy spin to the finish. Tommy was in the running for 2nd place overall so he pulls up next to me and asks me if I have anything left. Do I have anything left? Let's see I have launched two boring attacks that went no where, and the rest of the time I was tacked on to the very back of the group, yeah I think there is some gas in the tank still, what do you need? Time for a lead-out. I moved my way up to about the 15th or so position and settled in for the last 2 laps. The front guys didn't understand how a last lap is supposed to work and started to slow and bunch. Some yelling from me got them sorted out and we were rolling again. I talked the front 4 or 5 through the last half lap, then with about 600m to go I took over. At that point we were at about 30mph...way to slow. I came through and picked it up. Not to quick to gap guys though. I gave a look and we were back to single file at about 32. Then I picked it up some more, then some more, then I hit the final turn at 35 and holding. Out of the turn, and out of the saddle for one last kick and then I pulled off. No one came through. They were in their drops and sprinting and still not coming around. Pathetic. Turns out the lead-out was a little to fast for some and guys opened huge gaps. Oh well. My boys were not in position (nice work a-holes), so they only managed to crack the top5 by sheer determination.

The season was over. Done. Time to relax, have a beer, and a burriot. Only thing is CBR "forgot their checkbook" and there would be no free food. That was the only reason I came up for the last one. Damn it. I had dinner with Drama, Bones and Pops anyway. Time to start thinking about next year. Lots of guys calling to get on the team, but not too many that I want. At this point there are only a few guys I would take on, and the rest I would pass on and ride with 6 next season.

I am looking forward to NOT riding my road bike for a while too. I have been out on the mountain bike a lot the last 2 weeks, and that has been fun. I am going to do a mountain bike race at the end of September in Santa Barbara, which should be a blast. I have never done one of these races before, so it should be interesting.

So what does winter hold in store for me, not a lot. Training, some Como St. rides, some travel, and maybe some time on the snow (Mammoth). I'll keep you posted.

No comments: