Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Crashing and Dumb Bike racing



There are days when I get this wierd feeling, like something bad is going to happen on the bike. Last night I had that feeling. There was a pretty large field at the race, and lots of guys chomping at the bit to get a result. The race started pretty slow, then some guys attacked and one of ours was in there. As they rang the bell for Preem one, two of our guys from the back came up flying and started chasing flat out. They brought back the break, and our guy, and now it was time for a group sprint for preem one. One of our guys got on the right wheel and was moving. As the sprint opened up the guy in the lead tried drifting over and cutting off our sprinter. That was a mistake. As soon and they touched, the other guy went down...HARD. It was a single person crash, and it was not pretty. Crashing at 40 mph never is. A broken shoulder and slight concusion is what he gets for his mistake. The bad news was, that guy was the strongest out there, and with out him there was a very slim chance of a break getting away. That didn't stop me though. I attacked a lot and should have been smarter. No breaks stayed away and I burned too many matches, so I had nothing left to do lead out. Way to go dumbass. More stupid bike racing. It all worked out as one of our guys won, and another took 5th. All in all a pretty good night, even if there were way too many stupid bike racers out there.

The good news is this weekend is Barrio Loagan GP. Eight corners in 1.1 miles. I am sure it will be perfectly safe, but just to make sure, I will stay away. No need to get bent just before a trip to Cabo. That's right ladies and gents, I am off to Cabo in less than 2 weeks. While all you poor bastards are stuck at work I am going to be catching waves in sunny, warm Cabo.

No comments: