Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Stupid Bike Racer

I am a stupid bike racer. I suck.

Tuesday night El Dorado Park Crit Series, and the heat was on last night. The temps during the day almost hit 100. I like racing in the heat, so last night I was feeling pretty good. I got in a nice long warm up and the legs felt pretty good, suprisingly. So it was time to ride hard. Pops and Drama needed the field strung out as we got into the closing 700 meters for preem one, so I went to the front and strung it out. I went a little too hard and opened up big gaps to my wheel with guys who couldn't hold 34mph for that long of a time. Pops got 2nd on the preem, and was looking strong. Since I had good legs I started launching attacks. Nothing was able to stick, unitl the very last laps. With 2 to go one guy popped off the front and had 10 seconds. Me and Gritters took off too. The 3 of us did 1/2 a lap then 4 guys bridged and the infighting began. One guy attacked really hard and looked strong. Brandon and I tried to get to him, but Brandon gapped me, and it all fell apart. Our sprinters did their job and got 3rd and 5th. We took over the points overall as well. So from now on we will be watching out for Pops and making sure he stays on the top.
I was a little bummed I didn't have enough gas to make it to the end with the small gap we had, but I have to remember I am not on peak form right now.
All in all the team rode pretty strong last night. It is good to see everyone talking and riding strong. I am surprised my form is as good as it is right now. I should be complete poo poo, so hopefully when I hit my second peak of the season I will be flying.
It's time for a team meeting as well, so everyone knows what everyone else is up to, and to remind everyone of their rolls and their teammates rolls. Sometimes we loose track of that throughout the season, and it's good to have a meeting to refresh everyone.

I am off to Mexico for a week for a vacation. I need it. When I get back it will be full gas until the end of August. By mid-July I should be back on good form and getting results. I hope to get at least 1 win this season. That is my personal goal.

No comments: