Friday, May 25, 2007


Things are getting ugly in Italy and Germany. The German's launched an investigation into the Telekom (now T-Mobile) Team, and found out there was systematic doping of the racers during the early day (circa '94-99). Zabel, Aldag, and a few others came clean saying they did it, and then the big BOMB went off. Bjarne Riis came forward and said he doped during his 1996 TdF win. HOLY UNDERPANTS. What makes it even more interesting is the fact that Bjarne says he now has the most comprehensive drug testing program in the sport, doing more out of competition testing than anyone else, and all paid for my the his team. He says his racers are the cleanest in the sport. So the questions that need to be asked are:

1. Is Bjarne full of crap and lying? With his background does he know how to get around the tests and still dope?

or

2. Does he know what to look for and can spot the dopers and really is trying to clean up the sport? I think this is highly unlikely, as he says he was surprised that Ivan was going to dope for the TdF. Ivan's performance at the Giro was unbelievable, and there is no way he rode like that (very Pantanni like) without doping there. And you can bet Bjarne knew he was doping.

What will the outcome of this year Giro mean for July? And who will win the Mellow Johnny?

As for me, I get to race Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Should be a fun couple of days. I am hoping to get in a break on Sunday and get a result. I only have one good ride in my legs right now so I will have to race smart if I want a result.

No comments: