Monday, June 23, 2008

Bad Luck?

Bike racing is tough. Not just pysichally, but mentally. It down right sucks some times. Saturday was 100+ degrees in the shade, and 80 minutes of hammering up and down a tough 2 mile course. Lap one, turn one.....ATTACK. Who cares, right? There are always early attacks, but they always get nailed back after a lap at most. Except this one. Seven strong biys got up the road. I thought for sure the race was over, as they got out of sight. Then one by one they started to come off. First was a BearClaw guy. No surprise there. Then a Swami's guy, again no surprise. Then we had the group in our sights again, and slowly clawed them back. Now with 15 minutes left, we were together for the first time since the first lap. Then, as we hit mid way up the hill, BAM!!! My chain dropped. A flurry of explatives left my face, and as I struggled to get my bike back in some semblance of working order, I watched as they throttled it over the top and out of sight. Day over.
I wasn't planning on racing on Sunday, but with the Satruday catastrophe still fresh in my mind, I decided a revenge/redemption race was called for.
Sunday was cooler, only 91 at the start. Lap 1, turn 1, I attacked. Three laps solo, and nothing to show for it. That will teach me. If I had got 3-5 guys to go with we could have gotten somewhere. Instead Rock wouldn't work with 5 Star and vice versa, so it was a bunch sprint. Great. My favorite. I was in the wrong spot headed into the last turn which is a downhill 30+ mph hairpin. Perfect for a State Crit Champ course. I wasn't going to be able to get position for a sprint, and I didn't want to crash and die where I was currently sitting so I sat up and let a few people past. Good thing I did, as about 15-18 guys hit the deck out of the last turn. Even though I was not in the crash, and had time to get to the side, I still almost got taken out by a dazed and confused you lad, who HAD hit the ground, gotten back up and thought he still had a shot. Good thinking rookie.

MBGP!!! Sweet. Love this race. It is a great course for me. Hopefully the team handles the race well, and we get the win. If not I am going to seriously have to consider a team switch next season.

No comments: