Monday, June 2, 2008

That Was Quick

That was a painful day at the races. Either I THOUGHT I had good legs and didn't or it was as fast as my legs think it was. After last years race (with the alley of death), Dana Point has garnered the reputation of being fast, really fast, and I think yesterday was a fast one. Avegage speed....28.6 mph. The throttle went wide open from the moment they said go.

(Me, George, and Charon hitting turn one early on)

By the 20-25 minute mark I started to feel better, but since it is a very technical course, it was not easy to move up. Once at the front, I heard the bell for a prime and figured I would try my luck. Hoping to take 3-4 guys with me I jumped hard into turn 2. I got a big gap by turn 4 and hit the gas again. No one came with me though. I got the prime and kept rolling. Hoping to stay off the front and get 2 or 3 primes I had my head down and I was going hard. I got caught after only a few laps though.

(end of my time off the front)

As the race dragged on at a rediculous pace, I tried to get away again, this time I had company including Karl B. We went hard, got brought back, and then the counter came. I saw Kayle and Chepe go, and yelled for Pops to get on it. He didn't. Time to go back to work. I tried (in vein) to gather the boys for a chase, but only Cam followed me to the front. We got the break back within closing distance only to see teams block and let it go again. There went 1st-6th. Pops had help with the finish and won the field sprint for 7th. A good result that could have been much better had we paid closer attention to who was going and when.

The nice thing about DP was it was a a beautiful day and a killer course. Plus there were so many good looking women walking around. During warm-up in the Oakley tents it was rather difficult to concentrate at times.I was on rollers (not a big deal) and most of the people walking around had never seen someone on rollers. So there I am on my rollers spinning, and they hot women keep coming up right next to me and asking me questions. It was a little rough. On one hand I like talking to hot women, on the other I was scared to death one of these people would hit my front wheel and send me flying. The form is starting to creep back in, so it's time to capatalize on it and get some wins.

Random facts and observations from DPGP:
- The alley of death is gone, but the hay bails from hell have takent their place, along with a chain link fence on PCH. Not fun.
- Karl B won the 30+ and got 5th in the p12. He is an animal.
- Charon finished a really fast race. There is hope yet.
- My commute home post race: 13 minutes. Sweet.

No comments: