Monday, June 9, 2008

SHOCKER!!!!



WOW, did I have some bad legs yesterday. The day started out with a 1.5 hour drive with Drama and Pops to beautiful Chula Vista, CA. What a hell hole. The course was not bad if it weren't for the horrific road conditions. Potholes and bumps every where. At about the 30 minute mark I hit a bump so hard my bars slipped, but I am getting ahead of myself. Back to the beginning.

It was a 90 minute "downtown" Chula Vista, CBR State Crit Championship race, and after watching a few races when we got there, I thought for sure something was going to get away. Luckily for me I am at the end of a hard training cycle, so there was really no way to know how the legs would be until it was time to go. I found out very fast....they were bad. I rode in the middle (which is not like me) for a while to get my legs moving. I finally started to feel OK after the bars slipping, so I went to teh front and followed a couple of moves. They were late moves in what was a really fast race. We started with about 70 and ended with about 30. I am sure the hairpin turn around the center divider at one end of the course had something to do with that.

With 4 to go, I was trying to get to the front to help Pops, but he was lined up behind some fast boys, so all I was going to do was get in his way, and I surely didn't have sprinting legs, so I cruised through in about 18th-20th place. Pops got ruined by some good teamwork from another team, and got 3rd. A good result, but not great. He could have won that thing.

The season is starting to wear on people, and you can see some guys have insane form and some are just counting races until the end. It's only June though so there is a long time to go (June, July and August, even a little September). Time to get ready to race.

Good stuff we saw at Chula Vista:
- Two crashes in the hairpin. One of the crashes saw one La Grunge guy take out his teammate. AWESOME!!!
- More messed up wheels than I care to see in one 90 minute crit.
- A crazy bag lady telling me about how one of her kids went to Berkley and the other son was at Stanford. Yeah, right.
- Drama dropped out of ANOTHER race. WTF?
- 5 Star dismantle two separate races and clean up in the State jersey comp.

Great news. Next weekends race is in San Fernando, and is almost an exact duplicate of the course we just raced. CRAP!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Trav, thanks for the link back to my site. i now have set up a social network where the fan can set up a profile and blog, sell bike items create groups and promote races. i am working on the instance messenger now to get that working. som come on over and set up an account and blog there to, and be a part of missingsaddle.
http://www.missingsaddle.com/scripts thanks trav.
p.s- tell what you think about this. Keep on writing!
Curtis