Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's Comig Back



Tuesday nights is Eldo nights. A mid-week crit series. It's a "training" race, but it goes fast and there is money on the line, so it is more like a real race than most think. "Training" race or not, it's good times and good competition. Without Eldo I would have about 35-40 race days in my legs each season, with Eldo that number jumps to 60-65. Kick ass.

This week was a good race. It started with a first lap dig. I had a few dreamers with me and after only a few laps I realized we were doomed. They didn't even know which side to peel off to. A guy would do a pull and then come off and put me in the wind. Well done dreamer. Back in the group and I was a little bored. I was standing up looking around, and for some reason making fart noises with my mouth. There are a few women who jump in with us each week, and hold on for dear life. It's great, because what doesn't kill them makes them stronger. One was next to me during my little tiraid and gave me a dirty look. That made me laugh, and then want to put the hurt on her. So I got a dude from Rock I know and we went to the front and put everyone in single file mode for a little while. That will teach her to give me dirty looks. Later I was feeling a bit frisky so I went back up and poked around near the front. We were hitting it pretty good at about 28 or so. Then a few guys ramped it up to the 30 mark. I thought this was a good time to see who would crack first so I took my pull and slowly took us to 34. When I peeled off half a lap later there was only 4 guys with me. Sweet. Rest, recover, and slam it again. Now we are down to just two of us. We got the two to go sign next and drove it home. We didn't have a big gap so I let myself be the sacrafcial lamb and did the final lead out. I came home second and felt pretty good with that effort. There were a few strong boys in the group who choose not to chase because it was me up the road. To those guys I say thanks, and SUCKERS. You guys are good people so don't believe the other stuff you hear about yourselves.

SUMMER IS HERE. It is in teh 90s today and expected to be around 100 on Saturday in La Mirada. Nice. I can race in the heat, just not very well. You know what they say....fake it until you make it. That's what I will be doing. Pray for legs.

No comments: