Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Giro!!!!!!

I was at a mid-week crit series last night. Fun race, great training, and usually good for a laugh or two. Last night was no different. I took a few fliers, trying (in vein) to get away. At one point I attacked, got a good gap, and when I pulled off to see who was with me, I was unimpressed. I sat there looking at these two douche bags, and thinking to myself, "these two? really? I have to try and ride off the front with them?" Elitist, but I don't care. You know the second you see a guy if he can ride a break to the finish, and these guys couldn't. None the less, I put my head down and did pulls for 2 laps at 30-33mph. Them 26mph. The break didn't stick. Can you believe it? The sprint was another mess all together. Some nights it is OK, but more often than not it is a complete cluster F. Last night was bad. Guys were "sprinting" and not going any faster than the lead out. Cantwell won easily as slow, fat, turtles clogged up the front.
Fast forward to this morning, and the Giro live on Cycling.tv (a great website, by the way). I am watching Team High Road dismantle the top teams in the world in their lead out for Cavendish. They had 5 on the front with 1.5K to go and they are doing 38mph already. They hit the last turn 300m out and Cavendish still had two guys. As they exited the turn the lead guy pulled off. 250m to go now. Greipel is now slamming it toward the finish going silly fast. Cavendish gives a look back and see's no one can come around him or his teammate and gifts the stage to Greipel. Cavendish couuld have easily taken the stage, no doubt about it, but instead gave it to his teammate in a specatacular display of sportsmanship and teammatesmanship (is that a word?). Then I thought about my teammates and how well we have been working together lately, and how much we are learning. It's frustrating on one hand though, as we are not getting as many wins as I had hoped, but I feel it is starting to come together, and I think the second half of the season is going to be good. Glass now half full.


On a seperate note, to file under random shit, yesterday as I was driving down the street I saw a guy walking. No bg deal right? Until he decided to sprint full gas for 100m then shut down the engines back to a slow walk. Awesome.

No comments: