Monday, May 19, 2008

Back on the Bike



What a screwed up couple of weeks I have just had. Let's get the biks stuff out of the way first. The last race I did was the masters 35+ (actual age 34, racing age- 35) as a helper for a teammate who was defending the state rr jersey. So I got up at an un-Godly hour to meet Pops as head up to good old Bakerfield. What a hole. No redeeming qualities visiually what-so-ever. We got to the s/f about 50 minutes before race start time. Got suited up, pinned, and ready to roll. The course was really good. We rolled out and attacks started after about 1/2k. The first 10k at uphill too. Not bad, just 2% but right out of the gates it sucked. A short desecent some flats through a valley and we hit "the climb". The climb was supposed to be a leg breaker. But it wasn't. I didn't even know I was on it for the first 1k. It is about 6k long at about 4%. With a little less than 1k to go I launched an attack. It worked. I took on guy with me and by the top we had a good gap, and by the bottom of the 8K descent we had 45 seconds. Through some valleys and rollers we got back to the s/f where I was hoping to get caught. Not in the cards. Maybe on the 2%. Nope. Maybe on the climb. Nope, we now had 1.55 on the group, with 17 miles to go and a 15mph head wind to contend with. Over the top and down we went in the Valley and rollers. We got within 2k of the finish line when we got caught. I reintergrated, and looked to see if our guy was still in the now tiny peleton. He was, but the chase must have hurt him a little as he had no kick at the end. I sprinted home in 10th, as out best placed finisher, and then got hte hell out of the B-Field.

Monday up at the crack again, and this time off to Cabo for a work conference my office runs down there. Yes I do have a real job. It's just like your job, lots of desk time, meetings, bs and all. But my real job is in the surf industry, where I was brought up. Before re-finding the bike a few years back, I was a hell of a surfer (I like to think i still am), and this industry is where I feel most comfortable. Why you ask? Because instead of a annual conference in Chicago or Denver we go to Cabo, and we have a great time. Some high lights ,or low lights, depending on how you look at them were/are:
-one friend drank pee.
-one friend ate cow poop.
-scored great waves almost every day
-did not drink to eccess and felt great at the end of the week.
-one friend broke his weiner (really).
-got stung by a jelly fish (no biggie, poop happens)
-had my crotch grabbed in one night 7 times....not as good as it sounds.
-saw some great looking women. Surf industry is the best looking industry (sorry bike geeks)

All in all a good week. And since it was Mexico, you know I didn't gain a pound. I was stoked to be home, even though the first 3 hour ride back was a tough one this morning. This weekend is Memorial Day weekend, which means I get a three day weekend and get to race on Monday. Right on. Hopefully my legs bounce back by then and I can finish the race and maybe help out. Until next time.

No comments: