Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What Happened?????



There are some weekends when no matter what you do, nothing good can come of your efforts. That was this weekend. You can count on it. At least once a year, you (and the team) will have a shocker, and bascially get nothing out of a really hard race, but fitness for the next weekend.

Let's run down a time line of yesterday's events, shall we:

Noon- get to the race course in Long Beach. Worst course ever. No scenic qualities what so ever, but they let us race, so it's ok.

1pm- getting ready. Got food, water, team kit...tires aired up.....wait. Problem. Thread showing where I have gone through the tread on my race wheels, and now I get to race on my training wheels. Let the good times start. Not a problem. No 11 today*.
*this turned out to be a problem when Neil Shirley and a teammate decided to do about 34pmh for 3 laps. F*^K!!!

1:45pm- Pre-game pee, and let's meet. Where is everyone? Scattered like feathers in the wind? Perfect.

2pm- Time to start. Oh, there's everyone. "hey guys the plan for today is.....what? We're starting? DAMN IT!!!!"
2:01pm. First attack launched. Brought Back.
replay 2:01 entry over and over again for the next 1 hr 40 min. Now I am tired.

3:40pm (it was a 100K crit, which is actually really fun)- A break of 7 gets some daylight in between themselves and the peleton. Great news, we aren't represented (insert sarcastic look here). Time to chase. Ok team let's line it up. Team? Hello? Oh, good Bones is here. Bones? Hello? He's done. Oh, good Cameron....STOP way to much, relax. Cam's gone. Ahhh George is here, nope guess not.

4:15pm- Break is gone for the day and is about to take spots 1-7. Time to get Tommy some points for the series. Tommy? DAMN IT!!!!!! To the front I go, hoping he finds me. He's on now.

4:16pm- Last turn (turn 280 of 280 that day), We are in 6th and 7th time to go. I punch it....I suck. Not a lot left. Tommy's got a little kick still. Oh watch out for Rahsaan....and he is....11th (4th in field sprint). Not bad. Plus he holds on to the points lead for the series.

4:29pm- riding back to the cars to do post race talk, "Hey Bones, where did you go after those 2-3 pulls you....OOH SHIT. Bones?!?!!?" Bones hits a parking block and falls down. The perfect end to the perfect race.

Hopefully things go better at Dana Point. Even with a shit day, I was still pretty stoked to have raced my bike yesterday, and I can feel my form coming back. I will be back in "Redlands" form soon, then its time to attack.

No comments: