Monday, May 5, 2008



Some weekends you have it and some you don't. And then some weekends you are right there and get screwed out of it. I think that accurately describes my race yesterday. There was so much racing going on this weekend, and truth be told I would have much rather raced San Luis Rey yesterday, but Tommy has the lead in the Best All Around Racer (BAR) series, so we all showed up for a crit in Dominguez Hills. Same old course, same old people. CBR runs a top notch race. Always safe, and always fun, but when there is a road race the same day so close, its a bummer I had to miss it for this race.

As expected the field was small, about 50 or so. Things got started early, and I told Tommy to stay on my wheel so he would be in the move when it goes, because I sure as hell would be. Then after a flurry of attacks people got tired of chasing/bridging and we had ourselves a 13 man break. We had some strong men in there so soon we only had 9. The peleton kept the chase up for a while keeping us at 50 seconds for ever. But as the old saying goes, out of sight out of mind, and since then chased and chased and still couldn't see us, they gave up. We lapped them pretty fast after that. Once back in I told the boys to make sure it stays together. We rode well up until the last lap (which is the most important). I got pinched off Tommy's wheel, got behind the only guy to have a mechanical in the last turn and got a pathetic 7th. I was racing for a win against 9 guys, and couldn't bring it home. That is sad. Tommy was the first guy from the peleton across the line so he extended his lead, which was good.

Racing as a team is difficult at times, but we did a good job of it yesterday, right up until that last lap. Oh well. This weekend is the State Road Race Champs, and I won't be there. No shot at it for me anyway. The climb is a little too ling for this fat kid. Maybe next year they will go back to the old course where I will have a shot at it.

I am counting the days right now. May 12 I leave for Cabo for a week (for work). Yeah I know rough life. It's a good mid-season break. Once back we have a flurry of crits. What else would you expect in SoCal? Road Races?

The best part about yesterday was seeing the 4 guys sitting on the back of the break with their mouths open and tounges dragging as we hit the gas. Each one imploded and went backwards and then we would see them on the side of the course 10 minutes later. Pure gold to know you helped put that guys lights out for the day.

Until next time.

No comments: