Wednesday, May 7, 2008

It was one of those nights



I get a lot more race days in my legs every season thanks to the fine folks at CBR, and their Tuesday night El Dorado park crit series. I get out for about 20 Eldo's a year, which usually puts me in the 60-70 race days a year range. Points are on offer and the top ten points getter's at the end of summer recieve a nice little check for their efforts. Currently we have the number one slot with Pops, and the number three spot with Drama. Drama was there last night, but not feeling it, which is becoming a problem for everyone, and Pops was off saving kittens from trees or whatever it is he does at that firehouse of his. The second place guy was not in attendance either, so I figured game on. I launched about 6 different attacks last night, and got a gap with two of them, but guys were chasing. Why can't people pay attention and just send one of their own to the front to cover breaks? Anyway, just as I launched my last effort to get away we got three to go. We had a good gap, but without one more strong guy the 4 of us weren't staying away, never the less we continued to push. With one to go we got caught, and I was able to reintergrate near the front. I pushed my way around, and got up to about 13th wheel or so out of the last turn. With that it was time to sprint. Eldo is strange. The last corner is 400m from the line and guys start their sprint from out there. They never hold it though, so it's all about sitting on their wheel until 200m to go. I hit the gas and got pinched off by some slow guys on the right, had to hit brakes, and re-accelerate around them, but still managed to get 6th. Not bad after being off the front for the last 3 laps. Could have gone top 3 without the brake tap.

This weekend is Bakerfield. My legs are coming around, but not enough to think I have a shot at the jersey in the pro12 race. Plus I leave for Cabo on Monday morning, so I will just be doing the masters race on Saturday. Bakerfield is like Cabo without the ocean. It is dirt, weeds, and ugly. The good news is the roads for the race are littered with potholes, cracks, and death ridges. I am sure there will be a number of people hit the deck out there. Hopefully the race goes our way and we can get a jersey out of it. We have a good crew going up for the masters race. Me, Goat, Pops, Johnny Boy, Vogt, and I think one other, but I am not sure.

As my Grandfather used to say....."Close the damn door."

See ya.

No comments: